Bum is a minor character featured in both Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. He first appears in Hotline Miami as an antagonist and enemy, and returns as in a cameo appearance in Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number.
He gets the first lines of dialogue in the series during Hotline Miami's tutorial.
He is encountered first as the narrator for the game's tutorial and then as an enemy at the end of Metro. Once Jacket has dropped off the briefcase in the dumpster, Bum will stand at the entrance of the alleyway with a baseball bat. Jacket must bash Bum's head in to advance, prompting him to remove his mask and vomit.
Bum reappears as a posthumous cameo appearance in the Bar of Broken Heroes in Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, where he is seen rummaging through trash outside the bar.
- Bum is referred to as "Burn" on the Steam Trading Card Game because of a mistake made by the creators of the card misreading "Bum" as "Burn."
- Despite being a minor side character, he still gets "Steam Trading Card, Emoticon and Profile Background" named after him.
- The Hotline Miami game assets refer to him as 'Hobo.'
- He, along with the Police Chief, is a Hotline Miami pseudo-boss that gets an effectively identical black replacement in Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Hobo).
- The player can miss or avoid vomiting by executing Bum near the car and quickly entering it.
- If you throw the baseball bat into the garbage pile in the corner, Bum can walk off the map.
- Bum has to be killed with an execution. Hitting him with the bat only knocks him down.
- Unlike in the first game, where he speaks the very first line of dialogue in the series, Bum has no lines in Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number.